HOOF & HOOK COMPETITION
In 2021 the Beef + Lamb New Zealand Future Beef Hoof and Hook Competition will be in it’s 15th year!
The Hoof and Hook competition is a weekend-long experience designed to immerse competitors into the beef industry. We welcome youth aged 8-24 of all experience levels and have options for everyone.
Competitors arrive on Friday afternoon for registration and an official welcome followed by intermediate and senior ambassador interview then it’s an early night ready for a 6 am start on Saturday.
On Saturday and Sunday competitors are split off into their age and experience level based groups for a mix of stock judging, handlers classes, educational modules, and fun team building activities.
Beef Bash on Saturday night is the perfect time to meet new people, catch up with old friends and pick the brains of our amazing volunteers, who bring with them a wealth of knowledge and experience in the industry. Everyone is welcome to join us for this evening of food, fun, and catch-ups!
At the conclusion of the event prize giving is held in the main show ring before we say ‘catch you later’ for another year.
Full competitor: Bring a steer and compete in the Steer ‘Hoof and Hook’ competition: Steers are judged in the show ring and judged on several attributes including conformation, muscling, movement, etc. After the competition, steers are sent to be processed and judged ‘on the hook’ based on carcass attributes.
- Stock judging: Competitors put their stock knowledge to the test by judging a line up of cattle. The top 6 from each age group go on to put their public speaking skills to the test and present their placing and reasoning to the crowd.
- Handlers competition: Handlers are judged on their ability to present and handle their animal.
- Take part in educational modules run by industry experts. From animal health, agronomy, reproduction, practical skills, and fencing. We offer a wide variety of modules designed to educate and inspire competitors on important aspects of the beef industry and wider farming practices.
- Attend the ever-popular Beef Bash evening on Saturday night. Eat yummy food, mingle with your fellow competitors, and have some fun!
- Eligible for the Ambassador programme
- Eligible for $5000 worth of prizes
If you’re keen to be a full competitor but don’t have access to a steer let us know and we can team you up with one of the amazing farmers who support us. They can provide you a steer and help you with the halter training process.
If you’re new to the Hoof and Hook competition and want to get a taste test of what it’s all about then this option is for you.
- Compete/Take part in educational modules run by industry experts. From animal health, agronomy, reproduction, practical skills, and fencing. We offer a wide variety of modules designed to educate and inspire competitors on important aspects of the beef industry and wider farming practices.
- Watch the handlers and stock judging competition to learn and get a feel for what it’s like to be a full competitor.
- Opportunity to help out in the cattle housing to learn about stockmanship skills.
- Attend Beef Bash!
We would like to thank our amazing sponsors, module hosts, parents, and volunteers who make the Beef + Lamb New Zealand Future Beef Hoof and Hook Competition possible.